Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Chapter 10 Reflection

Expertise is still not defined clearly. Throughout the chapter it gives various theories and ideas for expertise in different areas. Basically though, expertise, or being an expert, really comes down to being knowledgeable enough about a certain topic to have a comprehensive view of many aspects. Also though, I think expertise is all relative to a certain degree. For example, I am the expert roller skater in our AHRD program, but on a national level I am not. Which is part of the reason why defining it is so difficult. Ha, sort of like the definition difference between a mountain and a hill.

Well, I just sort of gave an example of expertise with my skating background. Even when I was younger and actually practicing hard core, I really got it & understood what I was supposed to do based off of my experiences & knowledge & the feedback I had received from my competitions, placing 2nd & 3rd in the nation at age 8 & 9, respectively. Because of all this, I was deemed credible enough to help teach of children of all ages, either younger than me, my age, or even older than me up to about 14. There is even a story on the news about me & I try to teach the adult reporter how to skate. (I remember even as a 4 year old I was annoyed at how terrible he was). But yeah, I was seen as an expert by many, even at a young age... but of course to my coaches I was still very much an amateur.

Knowledge plays a role in competence & expertise & directly relates to them. Knowledge is basically information gained and acquired about the subject/area. Competence is having the ability to perform (in my opinion) to a certain standard. Both combined along with other things make up expertise. Knowledge can carry on solo, competence needs knowledge, but not expertise, and expertise needs all.

HRD and T & D would differ if committed to knowledge vs. expertise. Expertise is more about being able to apply knowledge gained and use it in many ways. A person could acquire a great deal of knowledge, but without knowing how to use that knowledge, they could not be an expert. Therefor, if HRD and T & D moved to knowledge only, it wouldn't move beyond knowledge intentionally and I would fear inadequate training.

Competence vs. expertise is a better battle, however, I think that comptence = standards (the minimum), & expertise = above average. Like in our program, AHRD. Completing the degree with all B-'s would make you competent. However, completing with all A's would lean you more towards expertise. Not saying that a straight A student is an expert, but pushing just for competency doesn't stretch far enough I think. Sort of like Veronika's argument that AP should be the standard issue in Tuesday night's class.

Issues that arise are defining what expertise is and how to measure it. It's important enough that we use it and all have a basic understanding and concept of it, however, its also abstract enough that not everyone can have the same perception of it. This poses a problem. Just like what's the difference between a mountain & a hill, as mentioned above.

No comments: